Sunday, 10 February 2013

Pansy challenge

I decided to enter the Docrafts challenge. This week it was a photo of a pairs of green wellies and some boxes of pansies. I decided to do something with the colours and started by punching 9 scalloped squares  - 3 in each colour; buttercup, lilac and purple. I decided to use a Kraft card to reflected the colour of the paving slabs in the foreground. I then used a dark green and embossed white card with chestnut inked edges as a background. The real challenge was to make some DIY pansies as I didn't have a punch or dies the correct shape.


To make each flower you need to start with 4 hearts - 3 in the paler tone and 1 slightly darker or contrasting  - and a small circle (about 1cm diameter). I used the smallest x-cut nesting die for the hearts. First ink the rounded edges and the point of the lighter hearts. Use a  pen to draw in lines going up each petal from the point. Then gently fold each heart in half to add dimension. Use the circle as a base to build the flower on and take the darker petal and stick it to the circle lining the point up with the centre of the circle. Then add two of the lighter petal at 3 and 9 o'clock so that they overlap the darker petal. Add the last petal at 6 o'clock so that it overlaps all the other petals and add a gem on the centre.
And here is the finished card . . .

The finishing touches are a message is from Craftwork Cards and the leaves are the x-cut beech punch. It might not win but it was great fun to make and a good alternative use for hearts other than for my Valentine's card!


No comments:

Post a Comment